The sweater, she is DONE! Actually, she has been done for over a week, and I have been wearing her a goodly portion of that time. Warm, cozy, fits right, scratchy enough that I need to wear a long-sleeved t-shirt under it, but I have several so that is not a problem. The color are fairly accurate at left, but the neck does not do that funny thing it is doing in the photo.
I learned some things in this sweater, mainly that I am not quite as good a sweater knitter as I thought. I won't go into excruciating detail because I don't want you all to feel you need to reassure me. I know what is not quite right about the sweater and none of it is enough to prevent me from being pleased with it and happy to wear it. So there.
One thing I learned is that I need to allow a bit more ease in the sleeve length. The kimono sweater I finished almost exactly a year ago? Sleeves barely long enough, and I intend -- someday -- to frog and reknit the last six inches to remedy that. I do not plan to do anything to the sleeves on this sweater except to use them as a reminder that I really need to put at least one extra inch of ease into the length of the sleeve, amen.
The blue-gray background yarn is a bit scratchy on my skin, so instead of doing ribbed cuffs I did turned hems and lined them with the same merino as the stripes.
It seems to have worked a bit better on the machine-made sweater :( I knit the linings on a needle one size smaller than the sleeve to ensure that the hem would not flare. This worked on the sleeves; not so well at the bottom or the neck. Also, the row of stitches where I worked the three-needle bind-off pulled in significantly. I was able to fix this -- mostly -- by a firm steam-pressing.
These last photos are for Heather, who requested to see the inside of the sweater. Here ya go, Heather!